Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Interview: Maggi Myers (author of The Final Piece)


A big thanks to Maggi Myers for doing this interview with us!! Be sure to pick up a copy of her book, The Final Piece.

Tell us a little about yourself:
I was born in Des Moines, IA and raised in Miami, FL. I currently live in Greensboro, NC with my husband and our 2 monkeys - CJ and Cameron. Most people are fairly shocked to find out I laugh a lot...at myself mostly. Seriously, my personality doesn’t reflect the tone of my writing. In fact, I’m rather smiley. How annoying, right? I’m a realist, an Incredible Hulk enthusiast, a mother, an advocate, a calamity, a nerd (and proud of it), and I am a survivor.

What inspired you to write this first book?
I’ve always found writing to be the best way to express myself. It’s served as therapist, lifeline and anchor growing up. In 2004, I lost the person who embodied those same attributes. He passed away never knowing what he meant to me, so I started to write a character that reflected who he was and what he did for me - Tommy. So, Tommy’s existed for a very long time. Beth, Ryan, and the rest of the menagerie, took shape years later.

Last May, I read a book called The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher that blew me away. The characters in this book didn’t follow the typical “rules” of literary fiction. Ms. Fisher was unapologetic and bold in her storytelling. She didn’t sugar-coat anything, and I loved it. It made me brave enough to revisit Tommy and finish writing the story he belonged in.

How long did you work on The Final Piece?
I began outlining in June of 2012 and completed the first draft in October 2012.

How did your interest in writing originate?
When I was a little girl, I had a hard time finding “my voice.” I was a painfully shy and sensitive child who spent a lot of time alone or with adults. It was intimidating!  Writing gave me a means to map out what I wanted to say and perfect it, first. It allowed me to connect with feelings that scared me, help me process them and let them go. Storytelling was my escapism, and my refuge from being lonely.

Are experiences in The Final Piece based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
I’m a survivor of sexual abuse, but Beth’s story is her own. I wove certain feelings and experiences into the storyline in order for Tommy to shine as Beth’s hero, just like Bobby did for me. That is the biggest parallel to real life, right there. Tommy was Beth’s champion, and Bobby was mine. I also wanted to give Beth the one thing that helped me survive my own story - a great family. So, those are some of the things that are based on me.

Who is your favorite character from your book and why?
Tommy. He is my favorite character, because he never doubted Beth for one second.

What books have influenced your life most?

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Expurey
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher
How to Kill a Rockstar by Tiffanie DeBartolo
If I Stay/ Where She Went by Gayle Forman

*There are so many books that have shaped me & my writing. These are a few that came to mind*

What book are you reading now?
Picturing Perfect by Melissa Brown.

What are your current projects?  Can we expect another book?
I just signed with Amazon Publishing, so things have slowed down a little bit. Traditional publishing works much slower than self publishing! I am working on a book called An Enigma Project and there is an excerpt on my blog at www.maggimyers.com. It is scheduled for a February 2014 release.

Anything else you would like to add?
Never let someone else dictate what you are capable of.
Have Faith.
Cherish Love.
Never give up Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment